Saturday, October 23

the big B


It's my birthday.

Good excuse for a spot of twirling and leaping.
 
Got up when there was still a 4 at the front of the digital display to watch the moonset over the lagoon. Aquaman left me for the dawn patrol, and I went back to bed with a cuppa and a book.  I refuse to acknowledge the number associated with the big B-Day, instead convincing my consciousness that I am in fact getting younger. 

I am now the same age that my mum was when she had me.


I still hate cooked peas and rockmelon, and love to dance and spin like a child.  My spirit is always in a hurry, but crippled by time sickness, afraid I'll get to the end of life with unfulfilled dreams.  My ego fights between the now and the have, and the when and the want.  I can sleep like a koala and eat more greens than I'd imagined possible.  I am healthier than I was ten years ago, and despite a life of sun-loving, the sunscreen and moisturiser is paying dividends.  I have more grey hairs than I'm comfortable with, and they seem to wink at me in the morning sunlight, teasing me to confront the passing years.  I am slightly better at letting go of expectation, but in doing so feel I have lost some of my power of aspiration.  I get bored faster than ever and flit between projects like a plate spinner.  Life's inbox will always be full.



I made some bunting and baked vegan chocolate and almond mud cake muffins for a little party (recipe below). I finally got to use the adorable sugar flowers my dear friend Louise brought over last year.  The  merrymaking was held next door at Tinggi's because he has two maids and I have none.  This means I could make a fabulous mess and not have to clean it up.

Along with delicious cup-cakes, we drank almond milk mocha frappucinos and ate pancakes with jam.




Lounged around in the heat and talked about surf and wind and off-season adventures.



And then it was over.  I don't like when things are over.



Aquaman hit the waves for a second session and the steel grey clouds gathered.

 

I played in the rain while a pot of lentils burnt on the stove.

Selamat hari ulang tahun - happy birthday to me. 

vegan chocolate mud muffins

makes 12 large muffins
3 cups plain flour
2 cups sugar (I like a mix of dark and regular)
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
1 1/2 cup water or soy milk
3/4 cup vegetable/coconut/olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla essence or one vanilla pod scraped

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bi-carb.  
Stir in almond meal and sugars.
Mix together wet ingredients and add to dry ingredients.
Stir until well combined.
Pour into greased muffin tins and bake for approx 30 minutes at 180 degrees C.
Let cool on rack before serving.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...