Saturday, June 23

london calling


Many years ago, seemingly in a former life, I spent a very long and dark winter in London working in an office for the Royal Mail, drinking pints and hanging out in seedy bars. This was no doubt instrumental to me later marrying a surfer and taking up a simple life on a tropical island.  I haven't been back for over 12 years; in that time, the English couple that adopted me into their home have had three kids, the TATE Modern and London Eye have altered the south bank vista, and the bar in Soho where I made poor choices in men has been swallowed up by gentrification. However the essence of London remains - taking the tube still makes the inside of your nose and your collar black, summer sunshine is fleeting and god still wants to save the queen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...